Mountain Biking, Cycling & Walking Guide / Bike Mechanic
2022: June - Oct 2023: Apr – Oct
Here at Hike and Bike the Sierras, we are passionate about providing brilliant biking and hiking experiences in our beautiful corner of Spain. We are now looking for an experienced guide and mechanic to join us, as we expand and develop. You will be based fully in Ronda, working directly with our clients and behind the scenes, making sure that every holiday or day trip runs smoothly, and that every customer has a fantastic time.
We started our biking and hiking business near Ronda in southern Spain in 2012. We came here on holiday ourselves earlier the same year, excited to explore the region, but found no mountain biking information or good bikes to rent … so we decided to provide this much-needed service ourselves. Over the years, we have sought out hidden trails and built our business to encompass MTB, leisure cycling, e-biking, road cycling and walking. We offer centre-based holidays (guided and self-guided), self-guided place-to-place tours, guided day trips and bike hire. We ride and walk extensively in the countryside around Ronda, and our tours traverse most of western Andalucia, from Granada to Cádiz and from Malaga to Seville; no other company offers such a wide range of disciplines and routes in this area.
We are proud to have built our business from scratch and create a recognised brand in the local area and online. We recently featured in UK's Channel 4’ Tv programe 'A New Life in the Sun' (series 7, 2022), showing how we ensured our business survived the enforced lockdowns and ongoing impacts of covid-19. We are now working on the next phase of our business development.
Up to now, we have run everything ourselves, with occasional support from external guides and drivers. Now we are looking for someone to work closely with us on the physical execution of our activities. You will also ‘hold the fort’ when we are away from Ronda, developing new tours, guiding tours or promoting the business elsewhere. We will continue to manage the bookings, the website and do the office admin. throughout the year.
RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
- Guiding – guide bikers (MTB, gravel, road, e-bike) and walkers of different levels on 1-day tours and centre-based holidays N.B our customers range from families and beginner riders to competent mountain bikers, looking for exciting and technical biking. We pride ourselves on the enthusiasm and warmth with which we welcome everyone, whatever their age, gender, ability or fitness
- Bike Maintenance – clean and prepare bikes for day tours, holidays and bike hire. Maintain the equipment and workshop stores, and ensure sufficient spare parts inventory for 35 bikes
- Briefings & Bike Set-up – put clients at ease before guided tours and ensure clients have everything they need for self-guided day trips or tours
- Maps & GPS preparation – prepare maps using our computer software and printer for self-guided rides and walks
- Driving – drive clients/bikes where required; occasional airport transfers; maintain vehicle cleanliness
- Social Media - Post photos and a few comments from your rides and walks with customers
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Qualified MTB guide – British Cycling, MBLA or IMBA preferred – enthusiastic interest in discovering this amazing area and love trail-riding and walking
- European EU resident – or working visa in place for Spain
- Fluent English and a good level of Spanish – all clients are English-speaking but some liaison is required with local Spanish providers. We do not expect fluency but some Spanish knowledge and an confidence to engage with local people is essential
- Bike maintenance skills – pride in your work and bike presentation
- First Aid certification and an abiliy to deal with falls and minor injuries
- Full clean driving licence – comfortable driving 9 seat minibus with trailers
- People skills – friendly personality with good sense of humour, patience and understanding. Experience of dealing with the public in a hospitality, tourism or customer service role.
- Love of the outdoors and local ‘colour’ – your interest in the local landscape and culture helps our clients to enjoy their experiences more
- Leadership skills – happy to handle things on your own, particularly when we are not local. Self-motivated, with proven ability to act on your own initiative and take responsibility.
- Flexible and adaptable – able to think on your feet, cope under pressure and adapt to changing situations (clients, weather, trail conditions and a thousand other things that can happen when we are out-and-about).
- Not expecting a ‘9-to-5’ job – our days are extremely varied and not set-in-stone; some days start early and can extend into the evenings, whilst on others you can be finished by 13:00 or not work at all. You will also have time to go out riding or walking for your own pleasure
Based fully in Ronda. Living locally or willing to relocate for the season. Opportunity to live in our house (with pool) when we are not in Ronda.
Seasonal, renewable contract (Apr-Oct, 6-7 months, depending on residency status), including Social Security contributions. Monthly remuneration + tips + potential for extra earnings
Please e-mail us your cv, with a covering letter explaining briefly why you think you are right for this role. Please title your e-mail ‘Job Application - Guide & Bike Mechanic’. Please do not apply for this position if you do not have supporting visas or status to be able to work legally in Spain.